Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Eat like a dietitian...after a trip to the dentist

       A few weeks ago I had some dental work done, and my mouth hurt pretty bad afterwards.  I was having a hard time chewing and I could not use one side of my mouth at all.  Soft foods seemed to work best for me to start.  As a dietitian I know that protein is extra important when trying to heal, so for my first meal -post-dentist- I choose to eat soft cooked eggs, along with a spicy mix of (canned) tuna & quinoa with a side of mashed “faux-tatoes".

Why I choose these foods...
    -Light tuna packed in water is a protein power house and one whole can has only about 100 calories.  Mixed with the quinoa and avocado, this mixture is a great balance of lean protein, carbs and a little bit of healthy fats.

For a little extra oomph I threw in two soft cooked eggs for some vitamins and minerals.  I topped all of it with some chili-garlic hot sauce, shricha, garlic powder, non-dairy cheese and a little black pepper.

On the side I had some cauliflower, made into mashed potatoes.  Cauliflower is loaded with dietary fiber (good for digestion), antioxidants that fight off cancer-causing free radicals, and vitamins and minerals- all while being super low calorie- so it fills you up without expanding your waistline.

 Below you’ll find my recipe for Cauliflower Mashed Faux-tatos
      * in addition to being delicious they are vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Ingredients:
1 package frozen cauliflower, cooked according to package directions.
2-3 tbsp soy milk ( or other plant based milk of your choice)
1 tbsp earth balance
            Add the following to taste:
Cayenne/cumin/curry powder
Black pepper
Directions:
Cook cauliflower according to package directions
In a blender -add cooked cauliflower, earth balance and soy milk, blend until smooth
Add to a glass bowl and mix in spices
Put mixture back in the pot, get the mixture hot.
Serve immediantly (while warm)

So what's the bottom line?
Just because you are not feeling well doesn’t give you the green light to make poor food choices.  The fact is, when you are sick, your immune system is weakened and one of the best things you can do for your body is fuel it well with good, whole foods!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment